Today started with a technical support call (not the typical Saturday morning). It seems that the upgrade from software version 1.02 to 1.1 (which I started yesterday and let run) left the Treo 700w frozen, and not responsive to any keys and not even a soft reset.
It seems that a “hard” reset was needed (taking the battery out, pressing the power button and keeping it pressed, while inserting the battery again, and then releasing the power button, and then confirming that I want to erase all the data on the device). After we went through this process, the device came back to life, and after going through the Wireless Sync and ActiveSync synchronization again, the device became fully functional.
The last couple of days
Even though in the last couple of days, when I was installing and configuring the Treo 700w, I ran into some interesting distractions (having to exchange it for a new device because the first device refused to go through a “hard” reset, and then setting up the new device, and then upgrading to the new software version from 1.02 to 1.1, and of course having to re-configure and synchronize several times), I continued to use the Treo 700w as my only device.
I continued to use the Treo 700w as my only device (without resorting to some kind of a backup plan, like dusting off the device that I was using before I started the experiment and slipping it in my briefcase) because I want the 81-day experiment to take me through exactly what a user “might” go through if they were to acquire a new handheld device.
This is not to imply that every user will encounter the same issues—probably not. The goal here is to let these issues and challenges take their course (instead of avoiding them and trying to bypass them) and work at solving them in order to gain some valuable insights about the devices, the technologies used, the services and quality of services provided.
In the last couple of days, I was still able to use the Treo 700w phone. Obviously I didn’t have access to my contacts, so at some point, I had to open my laptop in order to get a contact’s phone number (you do what you have to do!). I also experienced having no-e-mail while on the go (something I haven’t experienced for a while). This was a combination of a feeling of relief (little vacation from e-mail) and at the same time a slight feeling of anxiety (not knowing, and inability to handle urgencies in time). But in the bigger picture, and even though I may want to believe that not having e-mail is a big deal, it is not--and it was all okay.
An important milestone has been reached today
An important milestone in the life of a device (in the 81-day experiment) has been reached today. This is referring to the point in time when the device is fully functional, and able to receive e-mail, and has the Outlook data on it, and therefore ready to be fully utilized as a mobile device with phone and data connectivity-- and a whole suite of helpful applications.
The experiment continues, 4 days down and 5 days to go for the Treo 700w, so stay tuned!