The first picture taken by the Motorola Q proves that we had nice weather today, and that the 1.3 megapixel camera of the Motorola Q is alive and functional. The day started today with getting the Motorola Q all configured and synchronized, a process that was fairly smooth and successful.
One interesting learning is that I didn’t need to re-install ActiveSync. I installed ActiveSync when I started to use the Treo 700w (see day #10 and day #11) and now that I am switching to the Motorola Q, all I had to do is select the File menu (in ActiveSync on the laptop) and then select the “Delete Mobile Device” menu item in order to delete the settings and files related to the Treo 700w. Then I connected the Motorola Q to the laptop using the USB cable provided, and ActiveSync detected the new device and took me through the setup and synchronization steps.
Synchronizing my 1200+ contacts and appointments too a little bit of time, but the process ended successfully. For those who may have struggled in the past with upgrading devices and getting the synchronization software to recognize the new device and synchronize smoothly, you would be happy to know that ActiveSync seems to do the job quite smoothly.
Another good news is that I didn’t need to reconfigure Wireless Sync either. Again, Wireless Sync is the Verizon e-mail application (and underlying wireless synchronization capability) that can synchronize e-mail wirelessly using “push” technology (in my case retrieving e-mail from a POP account to the device without having me retrieve it every so often, nor setting up the device to automatically retrieve it at preset intervals).
Wireless Sync can also synchronize calendar, contacts, and tasks, however I am synchronizing these using ActiveSync instead. There are some additional details relating to how Wireless Sync works, and how to manage Wireless Sync and ActiveSync, and how you could use Wireless Sync to fully synchronize your data as opposed to my approach here. I won’t get into these topics right now, but I might do so later in the experiment.
Another process that I went through with the technical support rep today was to dial *22899 on the device to update the coverage and roaming information on the device--a process which takes about 30 seconds or so. It seems that after that, the Internet connection, that didn’t work yesterday, started to work properly. I was able to browse the Internet (at the Verizon broadband speed) as well as retrieve and send e-mail.
The first key milestone has been reached
Once again, the first key milestone in the 9-day life of a device in the 81-day experiment has been reached, and this time with a new device (the Motorola Q). This is the milestone where the device is fully functional, synchronized with the Outlook data, and capable of connecting to the Internet, as well as receiving and sending e-mail.
From now on, working with the Motorola Q should be “smoothly sailing” and I should be able to get in more depth into the usability and functionality aspects of the device. More on these tomorrow!