So why are you in line I asked? Why not just wait for a few days and get it without this hassle. Rumors have it, after all, that it will be easily available in just a few days. If this is true, then getting it today (Friday 6/29/2007), would just buy us a couple of days of “iPhone special status” before it is all business as usual. Is this worth the wait?
I asked this question to many people including myself today, and the answers varied. Some of the people I talked to were reporters or writers or bloggers who wanted to get their hands on the Apple iPhone as soon as possible. Others were just Apple or technology devotees who would go through this experience any day especially when it has the “apple” on it. But most people had a completely different answer including reasons such as:
- Birthday gift for a girlfriend (supposed to be a surprise)
- Birthday gift for a son (the son was waiting with the father in line)
- Make an extra $750 (this is the fee that this young college graduate is charging someone to wait in line and get the phone for them)
- To get it for my boss because my boss asked me to
- For the experience of waiting in line and camping out and seeing how things will unfold (“I have not done this before” she indicated, “and I am curious and interested in the iPhone, so this seems an opportunity to experience this and get the iPhone”)
In addition, there were several rounds of “sponsored” pizza following the donuts and bagels where were served in the morning. No one exactly knew who the sponsors were—we heard it may be Apple, but it was a nice gesture anyway.
A true block party, honoring the arrival of you know what!